Brunswick County Public Schools Title I InformationTitle I is a federal program that provides funding to assist students in the areas of math and English/reading. Brunswick County Public Schools has four Title I School wide schools: Meherrin-Powellton Elementary, Red Oak-Sturgeon Elementary, Totaro Elementary, and Russell Middle School. These schools receive additional funding due to their percentage of students participating in free and reduced lunches. Brunswick High is not currently identified as a Title I school.
In these schools Title I teachers work within the classrooms alongside the teacher as well as with small groups of students. The Title I teachers at each school are Angela Parker and Betsy Temple (Meherrin-Powellton); Kathy Perry (Red Oak-Sturgeon); Darlene Brown, Brenda Coleman, and Wilma Tyler (Totaro); and Martha Trusty and Jocelyn Sims (Russell Middle).
If you have questions about our Title I program, please contact Rebecca L. Akers, Title I Coordinator, at 848-6166.
Title I Tips for Parents to Help Your Child Succeed in School
You can be a great help to your child if you:
- Talk to your child about how school is going
- Provide a quiet place in your home for your child to complete homework/read for pleasure
- Encourage your child every day
- Meet your child’s teacher and ask him/her about your child’s progress
- Join your school’s PTA
- Make sure your child attends school regularly
- Limit screen time to no more than two hours/day (TV/computer/handheld devices/video games, etc.)
- Model reading in the home for your child
- Volunteer in your child’s school if your schedule permits